RECYCLE & REPURPOSE

I love DIY projects, especially those that give new life, purpose and beauty to old things!

May 28, 2008

* KEEP YOUR ALLEY CLEAN.....for Safety's Sake!

If you have an alley next to your house it may your responsibility to keep it clean and free of weeds and trash that can somehow mysteriously just happen to appear out of nowhere! Last I checked someone had left a pair of black sweatpants right by the gate leading to my alley!

A clean and weed-free fence line is good for safety, weather it’d be fire hazards, trash to be hidden such as old junk people throw away. An un-kept alley may also give the appearance that no one ever looks back there and may invite idle minds to cause trouble.

With July 4rth around the corner and temperatures rising, it is a good idea to inspect and correct any thing needing attention. This will lessen the chance of a fire getting started.

If you are not sure if you are responsible for keeping your alley clean, contact your local police dept and they will be able to guide you to the right dept. I know that because it was my city’s police dept who send me a notice asking me to clean my alley.

I knew of one side I was responsible for, but then I discovered that I was also responsible for another side between my house and an empty lot next door. The weeds were thriving there! I also found other trash that had been discarded there who knows how long ago. The accumulation of trash/weeds contributes to faster decaying of fences and can also block view of anything going on back there.

Best time to clean is in the morning or in the evening when it is not too hot. Wear long sleeves, pants instead of shorts, and gloves. Some weeds have long thorns that can really hurt!!

Here are some samples of what to expect......AND try to get your dog to help you with the clean up!!


0 comments: